Monday, May 9, 2011

Artist 3: Samwise Didier

Samwise Didier is an acclaimed commercial artist that primarily creates fantasy art and character designs for Blizzard Entertainment's numerous video game franchises. He defines his art style as "Over-proportioned, primary colored, bulky armored dudes and monsters." Indeed, a quick survey of his works will reveal that this is not far from the truth. Nevertheless, in exaggerating proportions to such great lengths, Samwise has created a unique yet easily identifiable characterization of humanity and humanoid monsters.
 
Essentially, I found Didier's work to be inspirational in two significant ways. First, Didier's art has a cohesive style that is continuous throughout all of his work. His pieces are immediately distinguishable in the sea of contemporary fantasy art. They're both recognizable and unique. Second, his work resonates with a clear sense of powerful kinetic motion. By this, I mean that his figural designs have ridiculously exaggerated muscles yet they are portrayed moving in a most natural way. The effect is quite convincing.


The rest of his work may be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting choice. 3 very different artists so far - yet all figurative. I'm interested to see who else you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like his stuff! They remind me of D&D or video game concept art, which is his specialty so one would hope he's good at it. I only wish his drawings were less musclebound, but I think that's a aspect of western-style fantasy artwork... I like his Odin's Son the most. :)

    ReplyDelete